Yorick is a prototyping language like matlab, octave and others.
Its strengths are:
- A very fast virtual machine
- Integrated graphic display and export functions (unlike octave)
- Handling of multidimensional arrays (unlike octave)
- An aggregate syntax to describe synthetically operations over n-dimensional arrays
- A convenient procedure to link C-functions into the yorick engine for testing or other purpose (unlike matlab or octave, and like perl/ruby, etc) using an interface code generator.
- A very convenient set of functions to access binary data generated with other systems or architectures, as well as a platform independent binary data storage format.