After over 20 years of development, Perl is one of the most mature and secure programming languages around.
Here are some key features of "Perl":
· Integrates numerous features from many other programming languages (C, awk, sed, sh, and BASIC)
· A database interface (known as DBI)
· Works with HTML, XML, and other mark-up languages
· Supports Unicode
· Y2K compliant
· Procedural and object-oriented programming (POP and OOP)
· Interfaces with external C/C++ libraries through XS or SWIG
· Extensible via modules (via CPAN)
· The Perl interpreter can be embedded into other systems
· Comes with a CGI.pm module
· Can handle encrypted Web data
· Secure enough to be used with e-commerce transactions
· Speed oriented
· A mod_perl to be used with the Apache web server
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· It is now possible to overload the C<qr//> operator.
· Extension modules can now cleanly hook into the Perl parser to define new kinds of keyword-headed expression and compound statement.
· The lowest layers of the lexer and parts of the pad system now have C APIs available to XS extensions.
· Use of C<:=> to mean an empty attribute list is now deprecated.