In large part it is inspired by its fellow project, the Microsoft Media Platform.
The Microsoft Media Platform can be downloaded from here.
Support for XAML/C# Metro style applications has been added as well.
Here are some key features of "Microsoft Media Platform: Player Framework for HTML5 and Windows 8":
- Easy customization
- Interactive timeline
- Volume control
- Mute control
- Full screen control
- Poster support
- Support for mobile platforms
- JS framework agnostic
- Pre-load UI
- Error handling
- Plugin models
- Advertising standards support
- W3C timed text (TTML) support for captions
- HTML5 enabled browser
- New caption settings plugins (Windows 8.0 Xaml, Windows 8.1 Xaml, and WP8 only) to allow users to choose closed caption display preferences.
- New cancellable events on PlaylistPlugin: SkippingNext, SkippingPrevious.
- JS: app can now set startupTime from loadeddata event.
- JS: increasing max and min playbackrate to 32 to match Xaml version. Previous was 8.
- Exposing FreeWheel custom parameters via CreativeLinear.AdParameters. This can be useful for analytics purposes.