It is a collaboration of developers from Skype, XIPH, Juniper, Octasic and GN.
Opus incorporates technology from Skype's SILK codec and Xiph.Org's CELT codec.
Here are some key features of "Opus":
· Sampling rates from 8 to 48 kHz
· Bit-rates from 6 kb/s 510 kb/s
· Support for both constant bit-rate (CBR) and variable bit-rate (VBR)
· Audio bandwidth from narrowband to full-band
· Support for speech and music
· Support for mono and stereo
· Frame sizes from 2.5 ms to 60 ms
· Good loss robustness and packet loss concealment (PLC)
· Floating point and fixed-point implementation
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixes an out-of-bounds read that could be triggered by a malicious Opus packet causing an integer wrap-around in the padding code.