It was designed especially for developers working with cutting edge geographic and geometric data in information systems.
It is not concerned with data formats or coordinate systems.
It is based on the widely deployed GEOS (the engine of PostGIS) and JTS (from which GEOS is ported) libraries.
This C dependency is traded for the ability to analyze geometries with blazing speed.
Shapely lets you do PostGIS-ish stuff outside the context of a database using idiomatic Python.
· Python 2.5 to 3
· libgeos_c 3.1 or higher
· Python ctypes
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Add ops.unary_union function.
· Alias ops.cascaded_union to ops.unary_union when GEOS CAPI >= (1,7,0).
· Add geos_version_string attribute to shapely.geos.
· Ensure parent is set when child geometry is accessed.
· Generate _speedups.c using Cython when building from repo when missing, stale, or the build target is "sdist".