If anything goes bad with the import operation, just run it many times until the import to Tumblr is complete.
1. Go to the Movable Type installation and download the export file. In MT 4.34, this is under Tools, Export.
2. Edit mt2tumblrSettings.py: set the Tumblr username and password, Tumblr site identifier and URL, and the name of the Movable Type export file (previous step).
3. Run the script.
Here are some key features of "mt2tumblr":
What gets imported for each post:
· Original date.
· Body. Tumblr doesn’t have “extended body” concept: both the body and extended body from Movable Type get lumped into one body.
· Approximate base name (slug).
What doesn’t get imported:
· Keywords, categories, tags.
· Comments, trackbacks.
· Multiple authors. All posts get posted under the name of whoever’s Tumblr credentials are used.
· Post status. All posts are posted right away. This is necessary, among other things, to preserve the original date.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The script didn’t work correctly when posting to an existing Tumblr site that had existing posts with non-text type (photo, video etc).
· Added an extra check to fix that.