It doesn't provide useless bells and whistles, but focuses on efficiency and ease of use.
PureFTPd is a simple answer to common needs, with unique personal features that will simplify hosting and administration tasks.
Here are some key features of "Pure-FTPd":
· System accounts can immediately have FTP access. Authentication via PAM modules is also supported. Accounts below an uid (e.g. < 500 for daemon accounts) can be disallowed.
· All accounts can be easily chrooted by default. For easy administration, a “trusted” group with no chroot can be defined.
· FTP accounts can be distinct from system accounts, stored in an independent database. Multiple accounts can share the same system id. A built-in indexing database allows very fast lookups. It is sucessfully running with over 1.5 million accounts on the same server. System accounts can be copied to virtual FTP accounts, so that users can have different passwords for shell access and FTP access.
· LDAP authentication is also fully supported. Plaintext, Crypt, MD5, SMD5, SHA and SSHA crypto hash functions are implemented. Pure-FTPd was successfully tested with OpenLDAP and iPlanet Directory Server. It uses standard posixAccounts classes.
· Built-in secure cryptographic hashes (SMD5, SSHA) can be used with any LDAP server, even those that are lacking support for these hashes.
· User info can also be centralized in MySQL databases, with or without transactions. All queries are fully customizable, and requests can be built with user names, remote client addresses, local IP addresses and ports. That way, complex hosting rules can be easily implemented, even with multiple virtual servers on the same host, and multiple virtual domains with many users.
· Multiple authentication methods can be chained in any order. For instance, SQL accounts, LDAP directories and system accounts can be used at the same time.
· Custom authentication methods can easily be added. Pure-FTPd supports external authentication modules, and writing a new backend can be as simple as a few lines of shell script.
· Pure-FTPd supports a virtual quota system : accounts can have individual quota (max number of files, max total size) even when they share the same system uid.
· Bandwidth throttling is supported, with distinct settings for upload and download.
· Every user can be assigned individual quota, ratio and bandwidth.
· Every user can be allowed to connect only from a specific range on IP address, or only to its own virtual host.
· Every user can be individually restricted to his home directory or not.
· Every user can be allowed to connect only during configured time-ranges (e.g. only during business hours).