If you are not familiar with how flickr handles editing data, here’s a short summary.
- Show user the data field normally (for instance: the title of a picture)
- When mouse rolls over that title, make the background of the word yellow
- If the user clicks on the word, change that word to a input box with the word in it. Also show a “save” and “cancel” button
- A user can rename the picture and then push “save.”
- Run a little script that updates the name into the database
- Remove the input box and the buttons and return to the original title display (updated with new title).
It shows how to write a little code to emulate flickr edit style effect almost perfectly.
The script is not using any third party libraries. There is a lot of html code involved, it is not recommended if you intend to use a 'plugin' like edit in place script.
On top of that, php and html is mixed together meaning more difficult to customize the script.