Gem Drop X is a fast-paced puzzle game where it's your job to clear the screen of gems before they squash you! (You're at the bottom, they're at the top, and they keep coming!)
Gem Drop X was directly ported from the original GemDrop for the Atari 8-bit, which was based on "Magical Drop III" by SNK.
You grab gems (up to 10) of the same color and use them to knock more gems off the screen. Match 3 or more of the same color in a column and >BAM!< they explode! Any adjacent gems of the same color also explode, causing a chain reaction that might cover the entire screen!
The more gems that disappear with one shot, the higher the score you get!
- Special objects, which help (or hinder) you on the way. Activate them by including them in a match:
- Bombs - stop the chain reaction and destory any gems on either side and above and blow it.
- Wildcards - cause more chain reactions with adjacent pieces.
- Stopwatches - freezes the gems so no more appear from the top for a few seconds, giving you precious time with which to clear more of the screen!
- Progressive levels. More gems when you start, and less time before new ones appear.
- Expert levels. Levels 15 to 20 have twice as many different colored gems as levels 1 to 14, making it even more difficult to get matches!
- Play with keyboard, joystick, or mouse
- Beautiful graphics, most 3D rendered
- Stereo music and sound effects.
- Includes source code for both Gem Drop X (in C, using libSDL), as well as the original "Gem Drop" code (in Action!, for the Atari 8bit)!