Using BWAPI, programmers can retrieve information on players and individual units in Starcraft as well as issue a wide variety of commands to units, opening the doors for custom AIs with new micro and macro algorithms.
By default, BWAPI will only reveal the visible parts of the game state to AI modules.
Information on units that have gone back into the fog of war is denied to the AI.
This enables programmers to write competitive non-cheating AIs that must plan and operate under partial information conditions.
Furthermore, by default BWAPI disables the Starcraft GUI, relegating the user to the role of a spectator while the AI module plays the game.
This is done to ensure that the winner of AI vs AI matches is determined solely based on the programming and algorithms in the AI module itself, rather than by human assistance and intervention.
Here are some key features of "BWAPI":
· Write competitive AIs for Starcraft: Broodwar by controlling individual units.
· Read all relevant aspects of the game state.
· Analyze replays frame-by-frame, and extract trends, build orders, and common strategies.
· Get comprehensive information on the unit types, upgrades, technologies, weapons, and more.
· Study and research real-time AI algorithms in a robust commercial RTS environment.