It is a component for treating files, SMB, FTP, ZIP and such like as a single logical file system.
Commons VFS provides a single API for accessing various different file systems.
It presents a uniform view of the files from various different sources, such as the files on local disk, on an HTTP server, or inside a Zip archive.
VFS is splitted into core, examples and sandbox.
Here are some key features of "Apache Commons VFS":
- A single consistent API for accessing files of different types.
- Support for numerous file system types.
- Caching of file information. Caches information in-JVM, and optionally can cache remote file information on the local file system.
- Event delivery.
- Support for logical file systems made up of files from various different file systems.
- Utilities for integrating Commons VFS into applications, such as a VFS-aware ClassLoader and URLStreamHandlerFactory.
- A set of VFS-enabled Ant tasks.