The core of pygame is wrapped on top of the SDL library.
This allows developers to create fully featured games and multimedia programs using the Python language as their main environment.
Pygame is highly portable and runs on nearly every platform and operating system.
Supports Linux(pygame comes with most main stream linux distributions), Windows(95,98,me,2000,XP,vista, 64bit windows etc), Windows CE, BeOS, MacOS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX. The code contains support for AmigaOS, Dreamcast, Atari, AIX, OSF/Tru64, RISC OS, SymbianOS, and OS/2, but these are not officially supported. You can use it on hand held devices from nokia, game consoles like gp2x, and the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) computer.
Here are some key features of "PyGame":
· Silliness built in.
· Does not require OpenGL.
· Multi core CPUs can be used easily.
· Uses optimized C, and Assembly code for core functions.
· Comes with many Operating systems.
· Truly portable.
· It's Simple, and easy to use.
· Many games have been published.
· You control your main loop.
· Does not require a GUI to use all functions.
· Fast response to reported bugs.
· Small amount of code.