DOSBox successfully emulates a full x86 PC, complete with sound and DOS CLI.
Its main use is to run old DOS-games on platforms which don't have DOS.
This is just the source code of DOSBox, for installable binaries go to these pages on Softpedia: Mac, Windows, Linux.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Several small game specific fixes/hacks/support. (Offensive, Roadhog, GTA installer, Kingdom O' Magic soundcard detection, Pirate booter, Armored Fist installer)
· Add the S3-specific 640x480 256 color mode. (fixes regression in "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" and "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream")
· Fix a stack overflow that could crash DOSBox.
· Add fake microphone input. (fixes Talking Parrot)
· Modify adlib turn off code, so that it doesn't turn off in cases where the same sound is repeated over and over again.
· Several small fixes to the CDROM audio code.(HOMM2, Redneck Rampage and others)
· Several improvements to the CDROM emulation code. (fixes Alpha Storm and GT Racing 97)
· Some small CPU fixes that might fix something.
· Handle opcode 0xff subcode 7 as invalid instruction. (fixes dif-2 & others)
· Some hercules fixes. (Testdrive)
· Improve support for blanked parts that wrap around to the start of the screen. (fixes Magic Circle demo and Sid&Al)
· Remove old OPL cores as the new ones seem to work very nicely.
· Modify movie recording code so that the movies aren't corrupt when you exit dosbox without stopping the movie.
· Change RGB3x scaler to look more pretty.
· Improve initial register values compatility of the GUS.
· Added autodetection for Gameblaster. (games can find it now)
· Change render preferences a bit to be more compatible with Windows 7.
· Add DOS fixes to terminate program. (fixes Fortune Teller)
· Add FFREEP. (fixes Trucks)
· Improve FPU ST80 in C mode when writing zero. (fixes Antigok)
· Add special int10 scanline function. (fixes mz700 and probably lots of games that mess with them)
· Fix scrolling in rarely used video modes. (fixes Orphee)
· Modify game specific hacks a bit so that Kick off 3 works again.
· Lots of fixes to the INT10 video parameter table. (Seven spirits of ra and others)
· Add VGA blanking in machine=vgaonly. (used by Alien Carnage)
· CGA, PCJr, Tandy: Add video blanking, change display start latch timing, sync pulse width correction.
· PCJr, Tandy: implement vertical retrace interrupt.
· PCJr, CGA: line-by-line video emulation.
· PCJr: support on-screen change of color modes 4medium to 16low. (used by Ghostbusters booter)
· Hercules: Add green and amber monochrome support.
· All machines: only update the video timing when needed. (Jungle Hunt, others that synchronize to the video screen might profit)
· Several small DOS fixes.
· Some UMB related fixes. (The Legacy without UMB)
· Fix version number of DSP for SB 1.5. (fixes a few games)
· Several VGA emulation improvements. (Allertone football manager)
· Some Tandy fixes. (Mech Warrior)
· Small improvements and fixes to the OPL emulation.
· Add low level Tandy DAC emulation.
· Some EMS fixes. (fixes Mortal Kombat and others)
· Change SoundBlaster DSP reset mechanism, add sb irq acknowledge logic. (fixes stmik-based applications)
· Some interrupt pointer location modifications. (fixes Tinker Tales)
· Some fixes to the BOOT code. (fixes Last Mission)
· Respect write-only file information. (fixes Champions of Zulala)
· Some RTC fix. (fixes Tully Bodine and others)
· Improve mouse emulation to work better with Water World.
· Hopefully fix the translation of the configuration file.
· Speed up and fixes for the recompiler core. (pitfall2 pcjr)
· Change memory start location. (fixes 7th Guest installer)
· Several fixes to the batch file handling. (Shift and use the typed first %0 instead of the parsed %0)
· Improve file redirection and redirected line ends. (fixes Phantasmagoria 2 DOS installer)
· Fix compilation with new MAC os X version.
· Add 16C550A FIFO support to the serial port emulation.
· Improve modem emulation to get higher speeds.
· Change default samplerates to 44100, blocksize to 1024 and prebuffer to 20, so that hopefully certain soundcards produce more fluent sound playback.
· Add some rarely used, but for some games critical flags to the internal commands.
· Add -userconf flag, so that the userspecific configuration can easily be used together with -conf configfile.
· Improve internal timing with repeating timers (especially with the dynamic core).