The library is very mature (15 years of development) and supports almost all PNG features.
· libpng 1.5.0 (only) introduced a bug in the RGB-to-grayscale transform code, which can lead to buffer overruns due to incorrect calculation of the number of bytes per pixel.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Removed machine-generated configure files from the GIT repository (they will continue to appear in the tarball distributions and in the libpng15 and earlier GIT branches).
· Restored the new 'simplified' API, which was started in libpng-1.5.7beta02 but later deleted from libpng-1.5.7beta05.
· With this change the required ANSI-C header files are assumed to exist: the implementation must provide float.h, limits.h, stdarg.h and stddef.h and libpng relies on limits.h and stddef.h existing and behaving as defined (the other two required headers aren't used). Non-ANSI systems that don't have stddef.h or limits.h will have to provide an appropriate fake containing the relevant types and #defines.
· Updated "ftbb*.png" list in the owatcom and vstudio projects.
· Added Z_SOLO for zlib-1.2.6+ and correct pngstest tests.
· Revised INSTALL information about autogen.sh.
· Updated list of test images in CMakeLists.txt.