Mapnik, the library, is a collection of geographic objects like maps, layers, datasources, features, and geometries.
Mapnik works on various systems, in server or desktop environments.
Mapnik uses a plugin architecture to read different datasources, including ESRI shapefiles, PostGIS, TIFF raster, OSM xml, Kismet,and all OGR/GDAL formats.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added minimum-path-length property to text_symbolizer to allow labels to be placed only on lines of a certain length.
· Added support for png quantization using fixed palettes.
· Added AlsoFilter functionality - http://trac.mapnik.org/wiki/AlsoFilter.
· SQLite Plugin: optimize i/o using shared cache and no mutexes.
· Directly link input plugins to libmapnik to avoid having to set dlopen flags from binding languages.
· Throw an error during registration for fonts which Freetype2 does not report a family or style name.
· Fixed quoting syntax for "table"."attribute" in PostGIS plugin (previously if table aliases were used quoting like "table.attribute" would cause query failure).
· Added the ability to control the PostGIS feature id by suppling a key_field to reference and integer attribute name.
· Added alternative, more robust proj_transform functions to project a bbox using more points than just the four corners to ensure an optimally sized bbox despite proj4 out of bounds conditions.