The Aap program executes recipes.
It is a kind of super-make program. In a recipe you describe how to perform a certain task. Like a Makefile it contains dependencies and build commands.
Additionally, many powerful features are included, so that you can use a recipe to:
- Build a program by just specifying the program name and the source files
- Maintain a web site (the A-A-P site is generated and uploaded with a recipe)
- Download the latest version of files
- Distribute files to several servers at once
- Obtain a module from CVS
- Commit changes to CVS; add and remove files automatically
- Generate and filter files
- Build several variants and on multiple platforms with little effort