Foreign Data Wrappers are a new feature premiered with PostgreSQL 9.1 that make external data look like Postgres tables.
The feature allows developers to import or inter-connect remote data with a PostgreSQL database.
This also allows the developer to query that data using PostgreSQL syntax.
Multicorn is also available to install via the pgxn tool ( pgxn install multicorn ).
Here are some key features of "Multicorn":
· Better way of querying SQL data
· Access PostgreSQL data from remote locations
· Reusable data
· PostgreSQL 9.1 or higher
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Break backwards compatibility: the column definition to the foreign data wrapper constructor is now a dictionary of column names to their types.
· Added Python 2.6 compatibility.
· Added SQLAlchemy foreign data wrapper.
· Removed SQLite foreign data wrapper.