Barman is the ideal solution for database admins running PostgreSQL.
It provides lots of tools and features for ensuring a PostgreSQL database's data won't get lost due to various reasons and errors ranging from natural disasters to hardware problems.
Here are some key features of "Barman":
· Full backup of a PostgreSQL database
· Point-In-Time-Recovery (PITR)
· Backup multiple PostgreSQL servers at a time
· Remote backups
· Remote recoveries
· Management of WAL files
· SSH support
· rsync over ssh support
· File synchronisation over rsync
· File transfers over rsync
· Compression of files in bzip2, gzip or custom archive formats
· Local storage of metadata
· INI config-driven
· Retention policies
· Backup general database information
· Backup disk usage information
· Local recovery
· Server diagnostics tool
· Server status reporting
· PostgreSQL 8.4 or higher
· Python 2.6.x and 2.7.x
· rsync 3.0.4 or higher
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added the 'recover' command which performs local recovery of a given backup, allowing DBAs to specify a point in time. The 'recover' command supports relocation of both the PGDATA directory and, where applicable, the tablespaces.
· Added the '--remote-ssh-command' option to the 'recover' command for remote recovery of a backup. Remote recovery does not currently support relocation of tablespaces.
· Added the 'list-server' command that lists all the active servers that have been configured in Barman.
· Added the 'show-server' command that shows the relevant information for a given server, including all configuration options.
· Added the 'status' command which shows information about the current state of a server, including Postgres version, current transaction ID, archive command, etc..
· Added the 'check' command which returns 0 if everything Barman needs is functioning correctly.
· Added the 'list-backup' command that lists all the available backups for a given server, including size of the base backup and total size of the related WAL segments.
· Added the 'show-backup' command that shows the relevant information for a given backup, including time of start, size, number of related WAL segments and their size, etc..
· Added the 'delete' command which removes a backup from the catalog.
· Added the 'list-files' command which lists all the files for a single backup.
· RPM Package for RHEL 5/6.