WordPress focuses on aesthetics, web standards, and usability.
Use cases have been documented of WordPress being used on Alexa Top 100 websites, handling huge amounts of traffic and user databases in the range of millions.
Download and unzip the WordPress package, if you haven't already
Create a database for WordPress on your web server, as well as a MySQL user who has all privileges for accessing and modifying it
Rename the wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php
Open wp-config.php in your favorite text editor and fill in your database details.
Place the WordPress files in the desired location on your web server
Run the WordPress installation script by accessing wp-admin/install.php in your favorite web browser
Here are some key features of "WordPress":
- Standards compliance
- WYSIWYG editing
- Static pages
- Manage links
- Cross-blog communication tools
- Comments and moderation
- Spam protection
- Full user registration
- Password protected posts
- Easy installation and upgrades
- Categories and taxonomy
- Custom post types
- Template/code editor
- Nicely crafted admin panel
- Graphic installer
- Friendly URLs
- Import/export tools
- Images with captions no longer appear broken in the visual editor.
- Allow some sites running on old or poorly configured servers to continue to check for updates from WordPress.org.
- Avoid fatal errors with certain plugins that were incorrectly calling some WordPress functions too early.
- Fixed hierarchical sorting in get_pages(), exclusions in wp_list_categories(), and in_category() when called with empty values.
- Fixed a warning that may occur in certain setups while performing a search, and a few other notices.