It allows people in a community, company or group to exchange 140 character long messages over the internet.
Users can choose which people to follow and receive only those status messages.
It provides a similar service to sites like Twitter, Plurk or Jaicu.
Status messages can be sent to mobile phones, instant messenging programs and specially-designed desktop clients that support the Twitter API.
Since version 0.8.1, Laconi.ca was renamed StatusNet.
· PHP 5.2.3 or higher
· Apache 2.2+ or other web server
· GD Library
· Sphinx Search
· bcmath or gmp
· A PHP bytecode cache/accelerator for performance
· OpenID from OpenIDEnabled
· PEAR DB
· PEAR Mail
· PEAR Net_SMTP
· PEAR Net_Socket
· Facebook library
· PEAR Services_oEmbed
· PEAR HTTP_Request
· PEAR Validate
· PEAR Net_URL2
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Options to hide users who've been silenced or have posted spammy updates.
· OfflineBackup experimental plugin.
· Fixes for TwitterBridge to correctly handle replies through the bridge.
· Improvements in ActivityStreams JSON output to better match 1.0 spec.
· Console scripts for managing groups.
· Bug fix for conversation counts in conversation streams.
· Rights for moderators to manage spam.